Friday, April 19, 2013

"There can be miracles when you believe"

I know that it is still the same week, but I just feel so blessed and I could not wait to share this with all yall!!!

So, many of you guys know that I am an asthmatic. I have not always had it though. When I was 16 I got really sick and ended up with this life changing event. Ever since then, I have been on steroids that have made me gain LOTS of weight. I have not been able to run and be as energetic as I would like. Now that I have a toddler, I am not able to chase her around or play on the playground with her. I cant carry my son in his car seat because I get asthma attacks. I try to work out to lose weight, but I cant really work out that hard to see results  because I get an asthma attack before I am able to see results that I would love to see!

With all that in mind, my mother told me that I should go see a  pulmonologist because she wanted me to figure out my lungs before I went to school. So finally I was able to get in to see one. You need to first see a regular doctor then you need to have him write a prescription. The doctor he prescribed for me to see could not see me till yesterday (a three month wait). So yesterday I went and saw this Pulmonologist and I am so thrilled that I did!

After an hour of him asking questions, he suggested to try one thing. He then said if that does not work there is something that could work. There is a new surgery out that basically, in my opinion, cures asthma!!!!!!! 

For those that dont know, you have tubes in your body called bronchial tubes. they have little smooth muscles that wrap around them. When you have an asthma attack, the smooth muscles clench around the tubes making it so one cannot breathe because air is not able to get through. 



With that in mind, there is a fairly new surgery that is out and it is called thermalplasty (i think). And what this does is the doctor goes in with tools and burns the smooth muscles so that way they cannot contract making it so you cant breathe. This surgery has been studied for YEARS but has not been out to the public very long. The only hospital that offers the surgery in Utah is LDS hospital and there have only been 12 people in Utah that have gotten the surgery. But every single one of them have not had to use asthma medication and can run and do things a "normal" person can do!

I am HOPING that the doctor will decide that I am a good candidate for this surgery! I can see my life totally changing with this surgery! I will be able to play with me kids, exercise, and get healthy!!!!

That is all! I just thought I would let you guys in on my SUPER EXCITING news!

Love ya!
Victoria

No comments:

Post a Comment